Saturday, August 21, 2010

ANOTHER FINDING

The Jumpring is a must, it gives the design a finished look and connects the pieces to clasps or anything else your trying to connect. When I first began beading I was totally intimidated by these little guys. I simply could not get them closed tight enough to hold my beaded wires. It got to the point where I dubbed them the "Dreded Jumpring", my "Arch Nemesis". I began to believe that, there was a good possibility, I might be, "Jumpring Impared". So frustrated, I wrote a poem about it called "ODE TO THE JUMPRING". Determined and undaunted by this obivious deficiency, I worked tirelessly to learn to close these precious rings and became very successful at it. I learned if you twist the ends away from each other several times this will increase the tension in the wire. Doing this will give you a tighter fit. If you are a beginning beader, do not be frightened by my tall tale of woe. There is a little implement called a "Jumpring Tool". This is a wide band that is placed on the finger, it has different size slots for different size jumprings. Just insert the jumpring into the correct size slot and turn the jumpring to open or close. Very simple and very easy to use. I now own one and use it all the time. This wonderful tool cost between $1.00 to $2.50 and it's worth every penny, in my opinion. Jumprings come in many different sizes and shapes and are sold in millimeters for diameter and the wire is measured by the wire gauge. There is such a variety, I suggest you go on line and check out all the different styles available at the beading suppliers web sites and maybe purchase an assortment.

1 comment:

  1. I learned this too, only through much trial and error. It's nice that you share your experience with the world to help others avoid such trouble. :) I've never heard of that tool you mentioned; it sounds very useful. Maybe I'll have to get one, now. Thanks again for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete